It’s Bout of Books Time!
Bout of Books 15 kicked off at Midnight last night. For some reason this one snuck up on me and I was sure it was later this month. Not a problem though. I can always find a way to make Bout of Books work for me. I won’t be beginning my reading until my commute time this morning.
The Bout of Books Read-a-Thon was created by Amanda @ On a Book Bender on a complete whim in August 2011. It took on a life of its own and was such a hit that Amanda decided to do it again and turn it into a somewhat regular occurrence.
- Bout of Books is a week long read-a-thon, usually from 12:01am on a Monday through 11:59pm on a Sunday in whatever time zone you are in.
- It is low pressure, meaning participants are only asked to push themselves to read more than they normally would during any given week. There is no competition between readers.
- How much time a reader wants, and can commit, to read, tweet, or network with fellow bloggers is left to individual preference. All challenges and giveaways are optional.
- Networking with fellow bloggers is actively encouraged, though never required.
- Use Twitter to post updates throughout the read-a-thon. Everyone will be tweeting with the #boutofbooks hashtag.
I am glad that the organizers no longer require participants to set goals. No goals means there is no failing at Bout of Books. Actually there has always been no failing at Bout of Books but this just reinforces that.
I do have a goal for this round of Bout of Books. That goal is simply this:
1. Read as much as I can manage to read.
I will be using this post as my tracking post and adding daily updates each morning about what reading I have accomplished the day before. I’ll post updates here every morning Tuesday through Sunday. I’ll include my Sunday reading on my final wrap up post next Monday.
I don’t set goals but one thing I do a little different this week is to track all my reading time. I have a couple of different time tracking apps on my phone so it’s easy to hit the start and stop button and track whether it’s reading or listening time. One benefit of using this is it keeps me focused. I find I’m less inclined to get distracted by stuff that I could be doing around the house or playing on my phone if I’m feeling like I’m “on the clock” for reading.
So . . . Let the reading begin . . .
Today’s challenge was to introduce ourselves in six words. I picked my favorite six from my bio:
Beersnob, Blogger, Booklover, Evil Genius Trainee
There wasn’t much. We had an ice storm so I worked from home. That meant no commute so no commute time listening or reading. Also I didn’t take much of a lunch break either. I ended up with only an hour and 15 minutes of reading for the day but it was all good. I skimmed through and refreshed my memory on a couple of comic trade paperbacks before I return them to the library. The Chew series by John Layman is weirdly and darkly humorous. I wanted to re-read volumes one and two before I get volume three because he has a tendency to bring back characters that were briefly mentioned in earlier issues.
I also spent some time with the Illustrated Edition of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone. I’m taking my time with this mostly because it’s too big to carry back and forth to work so I’m reading just a couple of chapters a day. It’s such a gorgeous edition I’m enjoying slowly savoring it.
A busy day at work derailed my lunchtime reading but I still had a good day. I got 50 minutes of audiobook time. I’m listening to Dry Bones by Craig Johnson narrated by George Guidall. I read some more in the Illustrated Edition of Harry Potter (he’s just arrived at Hogwarts). I started reading The Infernals by John Connolly. It’s the second in his Samuel Johnson series and it’s a lot of fun.
Another busy work day but I managed to get a total of 2 hours and 15 minutes of reading time in. I’m about a third of the way through The Infernals and last night I read the Sorting Hat chapter in the Illustrated Harry Potter. I’m all about fun reading this week.
I didn’t expect to get much reading time today so I was pleased to end up with just short of 2 hours. 25% of that was listening to Dry Bones and the other 75% was split between The Ifernals and the Illustrated Harry Potter.
Not much reading happened today. For a change I had more audiobook listening time than print reading. Lots of errands after work so I ended up with almost an hour of audiobook and about a half hour of reading.
Today I ended up with 2 and half hours of reading. I finished The Infernals by John Connolly. Such a fun book.